St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church
In 1874, one year before the town of Cullman was officially incorporated, the family of Colonel John G. Cullman and other descendants from Germany began the first religious organization. The church was first named First Evangelical Protestant Church (later changed to St. John's), and a sanctuary was quickly constructed. Updated in 1922, stained glass windows and elegant wood working still define this architectural landscape.
Cullman's oldest church, St. John's Evangelical Protestant Church is part of the North Alabama Hallelujah Trail of Sacred Places, a driving tour of 32 churches that are at least 100 years old, stand on their original sites, still hold services and are accessible to the public. For more information, visit www.northalabama.org/trails/hallelujah.