The Loyston Sea is a mile-wide section of Norris Lake that covers the community of Loyston. This bustling community was established by the Stookesbury family around 1800, and John Loy established a foundry in the area in the early 19th century. In 1866, the establishment of a Post Office gave the town the name of Loy's Cross Roads, but in 1894, the name was changed to Loyston. At the time that the building of Norris Dam was discussed, Loyston had a population of 70 residents and consisted of several businesses and churches. The town was covered by water in 1935 and the residents were relocated by the TVA to Knox, Anderson, Blount and Loudon Counties, whereas a few chose to move to the Big Ridge area. The Loyston Sea is a popular area for boating, water skiing, and jet skiing. It can be seen from hiking trails in Big Ridge State Park, from trails in the Chuck Swan WMA or at Loyston Point.