LaGrange College Site Park & Antebellum Cemetery
ADA Accessibility Notes
Established in 1830, LaGrange College is Alabama's first chartered college and is often referred to as the West Point of the South after serving as a Military Academy. The college enrollment read like a "Who's Who" list. By 1862, due to the war, most had enlisted and the village was left virtually deserted. On April 28. 1863, Colonel Florence M Cornyn and his Destroying Angels of the Northern Army swept through the valley and the college and village were destroyed by fire. The site contains a Pioneer Village, including a post office, country store and an inn, antebellum cemetery, welcome center and wedding chapel.
Each year, hundreds of history buffs and visitors gather at the LaGrange College Site to commemorate the burning of LaGrange College during the Civil War. Held annually in May, Recall LaGrange brings to life an important part of the area’s historical culture through re-enactors dressed in period clothing, Civil War camp life, skirmishes, Civil War-era entertainment, military drills and more. The LaGrange Living Historical Association organizes the event with the help of the 27th Alabama Infantry Regulars and the Providence Living History Re-enactors.
How to Get There
LaGrange College site is located in northwest Alabama, 8 miles southeast of Muscle Shoals, off Highway 157 at 1491 LaGrange College Road in Leighton, Ala.
Time Period Represented
The park is open daily. The Welcome Center is open Sundays 1 to 4 p.m. or by appointment.