Your browser is out of date.
This site may not function properly in your current browser. Update Now

Fort Oglethorpe Historic District

Historic Site or District
2010 Chickamauga Marathon - starting/finishing on Barnhardt Circle – Radonna Parrish

ADA Accessibility Notes

Handicap sidewalks

In addition to the original Parade Ground (Johnston Field) and the Band Stand, the historic Fort Oglethorpe Post consist of eighteen original structures:

• (One) Band Barrack
• (One) Post Guard House (Stockade)
• (Six) Double Officers’ Quarters for 2 Lieutenants and families
• (Five) Double Officers’ Quarters for 2 Captains and families
• (Four) Single Officers’ Quarters for a Field Grade Officer and family
• (One) Officers' Bachelors Quarters

The original Hospital, Post Chapel, Post Exchange, Theater, and Gymnasium are located within walking distance.

Walking tour maps are available at the 6th Cavalry Museum (located on the Parade Ground).


1904: US Army post established.

1905: Post commissioned, and named Fort Oglethorpe.

1912: President William Howard Taft signed bill increasing Fort Oglethorpe to a full brigade post.

1914-1921: Post expanded during WWI to more than 1,600 buildings and more than 60,000 troops. Parade ground was used as detention camp for enemy aliens and prisoners of war.

1920-1930: Soldiers of 6th Cavalry held polo matches on the parade grounds.

1930-1940: Post prepared for war, with bantam cars and other automobiles gradually replacing horses in the 6th Cavalry.

1941-1945: Fort Oglethorpe used as Army induction center, prison barracks, and stockade during WWII.

1942: Sixth Cavalry transferred to South Carolina.

1943: About 5,000 women from the Women's Third Army Corps Training Center move in.

1947: Post declared surplus.

1948: Civilian town created.

1949: City of Oglethorpe chartered.

1977: Buildings placed on the National Historic Register.

“The 20's and 30's saw Fort Oglethorpe become one of the elite Army Posts in the nation. The elegance of its architecture, from the Classic Renaissance of the original construction to the later Neo-Classic, lent an air of charming unity... Sunday afternoon Polo matches were famous throughout southeast Tennessee and northwest Georgia. They comprise 'THE Fort Oglethorpe' memory of most people who lived in these areas back then.”

[Excerpted from "A Guide to the Historic District of Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia" published by Fort Oglethorpe Preservation Society (1975)].

How to Get There

Address: 6 Barnhardt Circle, Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia

Interstate 75 take Exit 350 / Battlefield Pkwy to Fort Oglethorpe, at traffic Light at Kmart (LaFayette Road / Hwy 27) turn LEFT, at 3rd traffic light (Harker Road) turn RIGHT, turn LEFT at stop sign onto Barnhardt Circle.

Time Period Represented



Seasons Open



Visitor Fees


Nearby Places